DreamWorks Animation‘s Kung Fu Panda 2 released last weekend has grossed the highest amount in its opening weekend in India as compared to all other Hollywood and Bollywood animation films released in India till date. The film has grossed INR 5.25 crore in its opening weekend. Kung Fu Panda (the first part in the franchise) had earlier grossed a total of approx. INR 3.7 crore* in India in 2008.
Rio which had garnered the No. 1 opening for any Hollywood animation film in India beating records of films like Ice Age 3, Toy Story 3 and Shrek 4 has been left behind by Kung Fu Panda 2. The film has also got a better opening than local animated fares like Hanuman, Jumbo, Ramayan etc.
“Kung Fu Panda 2” fun facts:
- Creative and technical advancements were required to produce the state-of-the-art character effects, like fur, feathers, cloth and armor, that fill the entire world of “Kung Fu Panda 2,” not just limiting visual richness to the main characters.
- When a cannonball hits water in a key battle scene, a big splash is generated to emphasize the power of the impact. For the close-up shot, an FX artist used specialized, proprietary software to render the 10 million particles.
- In the film, one of the wolves gets hit with 1,220 peaches, weighing a total of 457 pounds and travelling at 105 miles per hour. This is about the same energy force as getting hit by an automobile travelling at 45 miles per hour.
- During the scene when the tower is destroyed, there are more than 50,000 splinters and small pieces of debris produced.
- “Kung Fu Panda 2” is the first DreamWorks Animation film to use dynamic, physics-based crowd characters, such as the wolves. The wolves engage in a kung fu battle with Po and The Furious Five, and are able to dynamically react using a proprietary DreamWorks Animation kung fu physics simulation tool.
- The final battle sequence of the film, which takes place in the harbor and canals of Gongmen City, is calculated to contain more than 60 million gallons of water. The scene required the most intensive computational graphics work of the film and more than 7 million render hours were consumed to produce 14,000 frames.
Directed by Jennifer Yuh Kung Fu Panda 2‘s voice cast includes Jack Black (Po), Angelina Jolie (Tigress), Lucy Liu (Viper), Seth Rogen (Mantis), Dustin Hoffman (Shifu), Jackie Chan (Monkey) and David Cross (Crane).
* Data taken from http://www.boxofficemojo.com